Thursday 10 September 2015

Sayonara Mac-kun...

My Macbook Pro, "Mac-kun", crashed on 31st Aug 2015 6pm AET...

For some reason it restarted itself and since then never finished loading the start up page. I have tried trouble-shooting it based on the recommendations posted online, albeit with no success. Apparently a very common issue with OS Yosemite when installed on an older machine. I updated to Yosemite about a month ago as one of the application I am using runs on this OS.

I have had the same problem previously i.e. "Mac-kun"went to sleep or restarted himself randomly, even though this was before I upgraded to Yosemite.  Thought it was something to do with the battery - Had the battery replaced, even though it didn't really prolong the overall battery life (possibly too much power to run Yosemite), but I guess it kind of solved the auto sleep/ restart problem not ...

Anyway, "Mac-kun" has been with me for about 5.5 years now. Remembered I brought him home Early 2010. Been a very wonderful companion. No complaints whatsoever until the recent incident. I guess it has been a long time indeed... Thought could persevere a bit longer with him, but Apple no longer provide support to this so called 'vintage model'...

What I found strange, however, was that in the morning when I woke up, I had this thought that flashed through my mind telling me to back up my data... (Well I usually back up and upload my data once a week - for some reason I haven't been doing this for the past month....)
Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to do so in the morning.....
Considering myself lucky, my important files were saved by my programmer friend, Hendrik, who managed to communicate with "Mac-kun" using "typical programming language" and copied my files into my external drive. Can't imagine losing one month worth of work - Note to self: back up EVERYDAY!!! 

So I bought another Macbook Pro the next day. Thank you so much my first "Mac-kun". You have been a very good friend, comrade and companion. Can't thank you enough. 

No comments: